Welcome to the Governor section of the website
The Governing Board of the Quercus Federation serves both schools, Northiam and Hurst Green, and draws its members from these two communities and beyond.
We operate as a single entity with delegated responsibility to a sub-committee for: Pay; and Headteacher Performance Management. We meet as a full board ten times per academic year. Meetings are held at alternate schools in the early evening and last approximately two hours.
Between us we represent parents, staff, the church, the local authority and the local community. We are all volunteers, committed to the overall aim of raising standards.
We work as part of the overall management structure of the federation. We act as a “critical friend”, having responsibility for the accountability of the schools. Our function is to provide both support and challenge. Collectively we are responsible for the schools’ performance and are accountable to the local authority for compliance with legal obligations and sound financial management.
Under the Education Act of 2002, the law states: “The Governing Body (now referred to as Governing Board) shall conduct the school with a view to promoting high standards of educational achievement at the school.”
- Decide the strategy for improvement.
- Provide the Headteacher and staff with support, advice and guidance.
- Ensure the statutory obligations and duties are met.
- Approve budgets and ensure financial probity.
- Ensure the health and safety of pupils and staff.
- Monitor and evaluate the performance and effectiveness in each school against agreed targets and objectives.
- Ensure the maintenance of the vision and ethos of each school, within the overarching Christian values of our foundation.
The Governing Board was constituted in September 2016 and our Instrument of Governance allows for twelve Governors as follows:
- 2 Foundation Governors
- 2 Parent Governors (preferably one from each school)
- 1 Headteacher
- 2 Staff Governor ( one elected/one Co-opted)
- 1 Local Authority Governor
- 4 Co-opted Governors (1 place being reserved for a staff governor)
Parent and Staff Governors are elected. All Governors normally serve a four year term.
To ensure that we have the “right people round the table” the Governing Board conducts a regular skills audit and self-evaluation.
Current Governor Vacancies within the Quercus Federation
- Co Opted Governor
- Foundation Governor (Northiam)
- Local Authority Governor
If you are interested in becoming a Governor please contact the Chair of Governors firstname.lastname@example.org